What is Chemical Sensitivity?
Chemical Sensitivity (sometimes called multiple chemical sensitivity or MCS) is similar to allergies, but instead of just one allergy trigger (like strawberries) you react to a whole range of chemicals, and sometimes just the smell can set off a reaction. Symptoms of chemical sensitivity can include:
- Asthma / Difficulty breathing
- Colds and/or chills
- Dizziness and/or poor concentration
- Dry or sore ear, nose, throat
- Fatigue, tiredness or lethargy
- Dry or itchy skin
- Headaches or migraine
- Irritability, moodiness
- Disturbed sleep
- Nightmares or night terrors
- Constipation or irritable bowel
- Snoring or sleep apnoea
- Immune diseases (cancer, leukaemia etc)
Chemical sensitivity can develop even after many years of not having any reactions – your body reaches its limits and starts reacting, and you start feeling sick or sore or having nightmares, insomnia etc. Sometimes multiple chemical sensitivity acts the same way as fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue syndrome. You don’t know why you’re so sick – you never were before, and now it’s all the time, for no apparent reason.
I think I’m chemically sensitive. What do I do?
Essentially, you need to limit your exposure to chemicals. If you reduce your exposure, the symptoms should also reduce. The main difference between an allergy and chemical sensitivity is this: If you have an allergy, you find the thing that sets it off and avoid that, or undergo exposure therapy. With chemical sensitivity, you need to lower your exposure to all chemicals, because if you just avoid one, you may become sensitive to others.
If you’re worried about chemical exposure, and would like to have your home assessed, please phone now on 0412 425 072 for a no-obligation, free talk about your situation. Or you can email me with your query and I’ll call you.
I’ve removed all of the chemicals in my house, but I’m still getting sick!
Sometimes the obvious chemicals aren’t the only ones causing the problem. Building materials, furniture, paint, floor coverings etc can all cause reactions in a chemically sensitive person. If you’re concerned, please call me and we can discuss your symptoms.
It’s also possible that you’re not only chemically sensitive, you’re also electrically sensitive. They have very similar symptoms, and it’s often best to try to combat both forms of toxins in your house – chemical and electrical pollution.
Mould can also cause a lot of the same symptoms.
I’m also not a fan of air “fresheners” – they could be a major cause of why you’re not getting real fresh air. This short, 2 minute video explains some healthy alternatives:
Queensland's leading Building Biologist, helping you to detox your home or workplace and achieve a balance between today's busy & techno-dependent life and nature.